How we teach PSHE at Wordsworth:
At Wordsworth Primary school we have a bespoke, flexible curriculum which responds to the needs of our children and the wider community. This ensures all children receive a broad, high quality, age appropriate and relevant PSHE curriculum inclusive of all statutory content, including Sex and Relationships Education and a positive mental health focus from Year R to Year 6. The PSHE curriculum plays a pivotal role in supporting personal growth, encouraging the development of resilience, self -awareness, tolerance, empathy and independence.
PSHE is taught weekly as part of a spiral curriculum revisiting key concepts and understanding over time-promoting positive and successful citizenship, helping to prepare our children for their next steps in the wider world. Our PSHE curriculum is designed to proactively safeguard, empower and protect our children, to prepare them for the many situations, issues or dilemma’s they may encounter in the wider community. We value pupil voice and feedback, using this to inform our future teaching and learning. This in turn helps us to continue to respond to an ever evolving world.
What you will see in the classroom:
- A safe and secure learning environment
- Ground rules and high expectations for positive engagement
- Respectful and considerate discussions and debates
- Use of scenarios to support key learning
- A range of activities and approaches
- Sensitive handling of subject matter, questions and concerns
- Subject matter relevant to living in today’s society
- Key concepts, knowledge and understanding revisited
Please find our current updated PSHE curriculum below