P.E & Sports Grant
P.E and Sports Grant
The Government will commit funding to Primary PE and Sports up until 2020, with £750 million to be invested over the course of the next parliament. The investment builds on the £150 million a year ring fenced funding currently committed. For the academic year 2017/18 the school received £12,000 and will receive £20,000 for the academic year 2018/19.
The Edwin Jones Trust and the Jeffery’s Education Trust have invested this money into employing a PE Specialist. This role began in January 2014. The key priority was to improve the quality of teaching and diversity of the curriculum in order for all pupils to make regular and sustained progress.
Last year we spent the majority of our Sports Grant on the Sports PE Passport Scheme with Team Spirit. This was popular with children and very successful in introducing new skills and sports. In addition we have had Kick Boxing from Alex Clegg- Matt Fiddes Martial Arts School, which again was hugely popular with our Year 1’s. The impact of the funding was increased participation in sports and clubs offered to the children, increased self-esteem and sense of team belonging for some children and we also believe it was a contributory factor in our increase in attendance figures.
Pupil participation continues to increase as children are undertaking a variety of competitions and celebrations of PE, both in and out of school and across JET. Further opportunities are planned and may also involve participating in charity events such as sport relief and British Heart Foundation skipathons.
Plans for this academic year include:
- Extended provision by Team Spirit in curriculum time and after school
- School staff working alongside our specialist providers to enhance subject knowledge
- A range of after school clubs
- Inter school competitions across JET
- Saints working in school every Friday with groups and teachers across KS2
- Providing occasional introductory sessions e.g diving and gymnastics
- Investing in new sports equipment such as astro turf so access to sport can be available in all weather conditions all year round. The astro turf also has specific sport markings
- Celebrating children and staff sporting achievement
- PDM training for staff
Regular meetings are held with all PE Managers from the Trust Schools. Detailed minutes from these meetings, written feedback given to teachers from observed lessons, data collected from events and competitions, clear and agreed objectives together with staff questionnaires contribute to accountability.