Modern Foreign Languages
How we teach French at Wordsworth Primary School
Our language curriculum is designed so the children learn common structures which they can then apply in different contexts with new vocabulary, helping to embed their understanding and build on their prior learning as they progress through the school.
In Years 4 and 5, French is taught weekly. In Year 6 it is taught weekly for the whole of Autumn term and then again in the second half of Summer term. Children develop an enjoyment and enthusiasm for language learning through the use of story books, games, flashcards and songs.
The children leave Wordsworth with an understanding other cultures, equipped with the language learning skills to provide a solid foundation for future language development.
What you will see in classrooms:
- Clear modelling using ‘I do/you do’ to build confidence in speaking and listening for all
- Children enjoying themselves and feeling confident to take risks when trying new language
- Scaffolds used to support all children when they are reading, writing, speaking and listening
- Children developing their writing as they progress through the school – for example sentences in Y4, progressing to longer pieces by the end of Y5/Y6
- Cultural diversity being celebrated