We would like the children learning at home to practice their Year 4 writing skills below by going onto this website every day:
and either to use the picture to write anything they would like to, or to choose one of the tasks on the page.
To help the children practice their writing skills outside of this creative writing task we have included links to some good web games. Remember - not every piece of writing needs to have every writing skill.
Year 4 writing skills:
- using paragraphs, headings and subheadings to organise ideas around themes
- selecting some descriptive devices to enhance meaning (e.g. adverbials, relevant adjectives, similes, metaphors)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zwwp8mn/articles/zgsgxfr - adverbs
https://www.childrensuniversity.manchester.ac.uk/learning-activities/languages/words/adjective-detective/ - adjectives
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoSBVNUO2LU - Similes and Metaphors
- inverted commas, capital letter to start speech, punctuation inside ““ e.g. The conductor shouted, “Sit down!”
- commas after fronted adverbials
- apostrophes to mark plural possession (The girls' hats)
- using cohesive devices e.g. pronouns & nouns appropriately to avoid repetition (I, he, she, they, we)
- some use of noun phrases expanded e.g. by modifying adjectives (strict teacher), additional nouns (with curly hair), preposition phrases (at home, with me)