We have already seen a fantastic range of Home Learning projects linked to our Ancient Egypt and Sound topics so far – thank you all for your help/support with these! The Spring Term Home Learning Projects will be sent home with your child by 21st December 2017.
Our regular, weekly Home Learning tasks will consist of:
Weekly spelling words
- Weekly testing completed on a Monday morning.
- New words selected by the children on a Monday morning.
We would ask that all children practise these words at least 3x per week.
Times tables practice
- Timestables Rockstars homework sheets are given out each week.
We would ask that they practise these at least 3x per week.
- Online Timestables Games - We have sent unique Usernames and Passwords home for all children, so they can access our online Timestables Rock Stars games/class battles from home. Please encourage your child to play on these games outside of school time, as we have noticed a vast improvement in their mental maths and timestables recall since implementing this across the year group.
Our Spring Term plan is to purchase the rights to use a Timestables Rock Stars mobile phone APP to give more opportunities to play the games on the move. Watch this space for more information about the new Rockstars APP.
If you do not have access to the internet at home, either through laptop, iPad, or mobile phone, please let your child's teacher know and we will assist them in this during school time.
- This can include a range of different texts, including magazines, newspapers, leaflets and online information.
We would ask that all children read with an adult every day, where possible.
Please use the Home School Diary to record every reading session you have with your child, so that we can see all of the fantastic support they are receiving at home! We are happy for your child to write the 'comment' detailing the book and page number they have been reading, as long as the reading record is signed by a parent or adult. Each week, the Home School Diaries will be checked by an adult in class, and your child will earn housepoints for every entry that we see!
Over the past term, we have been testing the children on their Year 1/2 and 3/4 spelling lists. During the Spring Term, we will be teaching spelling strategies, rules and methods for breaking down and remembering tricky words.
We would ask children to practise their spelling words at least 3x per week - if not more, if and when possible. The more access children have to recalling their spelling words, the more likely they are to remember them.
In class, we use a range of practice strategies, such as: pyramid writing, shape writing, rainbow writing, hangman and tracing letters on eachother's backs to fully immerse ourselves in our spelling words.
Ask your child to show you how these strategies work!